Some ideas I consider important.
- Comparison is the thief of joy
- Comparing yourself to others is a great way to beat yourself up for nearly no gain.
- Compassion and curiosity
- Don't judge. Listen. Don't assume you know. Ask.
- Everything is a people
- Instead of questioning whether a being is worthy of respect or has feelings, assume that it does and proceed.
- It's okay to make mistakes
- It is literally impossible to learn anything without making a mistake and correcting it. So go ahead and make mistakes!
- Practice self-compassion
- Remember to treat yourself compassionately as well; you're often your harshest critic.
- There is no "just"
- Don't make assumptions about the difficulty level of things others are doing. Or about things you haven't done yet.
- User requests are what computers are for
- The computer doesn't ask the user to do things, the user asks the computer to do things. Don't bug people to do things for the computer. The user is the most important half of the relationship. Don't waste their time. Don't get in their way. Help them to be awesome.
- Words mean things
- When someone speaks, listen to what they are saying and how they're saying it.